Welcome to AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc. in
Who Are We
AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc.
is a CANADIAN consulting and capacity building company that specializes in
Sustainable and Transformational rural development, Conservation agriculture,
Irrigation and water harvesting and the Development and management of
agricultural research infrastructure. Some of our areas of expertise are:
Livelihoods security, Food security, Agricultural production, post harvest
technology, Environmental conservation and rehabilitation, Appropriate
technology, Zero tillage, Natural resource management, Agricultural Research
station development and management, Community development, Geographic
Information Systems (GIS), Hydrology and irrigation, Soil Erosion, Topography
Clean and sustainable environment through responsible planning and management
of sound agricultural projects.
Over the last twenty years AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc. worked on various projects in
around 50 countries in North, West, and East Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and Eastern Europe. Some of
the activities that highlighted this period were:
- Short term consulting assignments in program and
project management related
- Feasibility studies for funding of projects.
- Custom-designed and facilitated capacity building
workshops in agriculture or one of its sectors.
- Custom designed training courses for managers from developing
countries in ESOM (Experiment Stations Operations and Management.
- Developing site plans for the development or rehabilitation of experiment
- Application of GIS technology to rural development
work in various locations.
- Application of GIS technology on 28 research stations developed in Africa and Argentina.
- Design of equipment for agricultural related environmental
- Design of relief projects and food security
programs in various African, Asian and Latin American countries.
- Assessment, analysis and design of livelihoods
Security related programs.
- Strategic planning in agriculture and Food security.
- Pastoralist livelihoods security and animal husbandry
- Conservation agriculture projects focusing on zero
tillage and smallholder farmers.
- Community-based, Farmer-managed natural resouce
- Baseline surveys, Rapid Rural Appraisals-RRA,
Paticipatory Learning in Action-PLA, Focus group discussions, etc.
- Impact assessment of projects
- Design of the "PIONEROS XXI" agricultural project in
- Design and rehabilitation of 28 research stations in
Argentina, Burkina Faso, Mali, Senegal, and Guinea-Conakry
- Collaborated with various universities from the USA on
various research and capacity building projects
- Collaborated with various national (NARS) and
international centers for agricultural research (CGIAR) on matters related
appropriate agricultural development
Over the last twenty years AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc. staff have
participated in local Canadian, as well as
International assignments in the following countries listed in alphabetical order: Argentina, Benin, Bolivia,
Burkina Faso, Burundi, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Ecuador, Egypt, El-Salvador, Ethiopia,
Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea - Conakry, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Kenya,
Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Malawi, Mauritania, Mexico, Mauritania, Morocco,
Mozambique, Niger, Philippines, Rwanda, Senegal, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan,
Tunisia, Uganda, the United
Arab Emirates, USA, Zimbabwe, Zambia.
What are we doing
At the present time AGRICON
INTERNATIONAL Inc. is involved in various Capacity building
workshops and events, Feasibility studies for
rural development in various countries in East, West and Southern Africa. These
contacts focus especially in the area of conservation agriculture, water
harvesting, agricultural production, postharvest production and food security
and economic development and marketing.
INTERNATIONAL Inc. carried out various assignments to
carry out strategic planning of agriculture and food security as well as to
develop programs for capacity building of staff in these areas. Staff developed
training events that dealt with assessment and analysis of situations leading to
developing programs in livelihoods security. Staff have written proposal for development
work and sought funding.
In three locations in Kenya and Malawi the AGRICON
INTERNATIONAL Inc. team trained staff to carry out livelihoods
security assessment and analysis leading to the development of plans of Area
Development Programs in these countries.
Most recently, AGRICON
INTERNATIONAL Inc. was contracted by CIMMYT--the International Maize and Wheat
Improvement Center in Mexico, to do the feasibility and analysis of two sites
for Maize research in Kenya and Zimbabwe in Africa. As part of the work, the AGRICON
INTERNATIONAL Inc. team developed designs and plans for the
establishment of Kiboko research station in Kenya and the irrigation system
needs for the Chiredzi station in Zimbabwe.
INTERNATIONAL Inc. has various contracts with
National Agricultural systems or International agencies to provide advice regarding
improving agricultural research.
How do we do it?
- Provide a holistic systems development approach to arrive at
solutions and alternatives that utilize local available resources, and meet specific
- Develop strategies and tools that enable communities
and authorities in developing countries target livelihoods Security of their
households and resilience of their communities in order to raise healthy, well
educated and empowered children and families
- Develop special programs components and solutions in
collaboration with other stakeholders on the ground leading to developing well
trained human resources of the national institutes and communities with which we deal.
- Place special emphasis on conservation of natural resources
like soil and water, and prevention of environmental crises.
- Emphasize personal safety and elimination of hazards in
developing site plans.
- Ensure that the staff involved is adequately
- AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc.
employs and utilizes
highly skilled and qualified staff and the latest available tools for
efficient and effective assessment, analysis, planning and design of its rural and
- AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc. utilize computerized technology (particularly GIS and CAD)
in projects related to soil and water conservation and harvesting, cartography, and site planning, in
order to evaluate and analyze the situation accurately, and provide the ideal and optimum
solution. It works with state-of-the-art equipment for efficiency, quality and speedy
delivery of projects.
- AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc.
advocates appropriate technology and dependence on local resources including
- AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc.
believes that the most rewarding of outcomes are empowered communities and
capable men and women who are livelihoods and food secure.
- Software development.
AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc. is
the development of its own "registered" software (MARS®) for the
management of agricultural and rural systems and research stations . This project provides a
state-of-the-art-tool that will deal with management issues related to the
system or experiment
station, and assist the project and station managers to ensure timeliness
and improve their support of research programs. This software is available
in English (MARS®) and
A Spanish release will be out soon.
- Design of specialized research equipment.
AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc. is often called
upon to design and construct equipment to solve research related problems. A system for
disinfesting wheat seed from Karnal Bunt disease was developed, tested and constructed,
and shipped to CIMMYT, in Mexico.
For any more information on AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc. or its employees, please let us
know! We would like to hear from you!
- (519) 467-0555
- (519) 467-0777
- Postal address
- RR 5 (Firecode 6861556)
- Woodstock, ON
- N4S 7V9
- Electronic mail
- General Information
This site is property of AGRICON INTERNATIONAL Inc. All rights
reserved. Copyrights 1996-2002
Send mail to the Company Webmaster with questions
or comments about this web site.
as of April 1, '97